INSERT ALTERNATIVE TEXT FOR YOUR HEADER IMAGE HERE

Thursday, May 6, 2010

Turkey Take Two!









 
Camp Olive Grove Participants

Three years ago, I had the privilege to spend two weeks doing short-term missions in Istanbul, Turkey. Following that amazing, eye-opening trip, I came back to the states with a bigger heart for people, God and for the role of workers in the field (missionaries). However, I didn't think God would be calling me back to Turkey or to mission anytime in the near future, if ever...but man was I wrong! Some say God has a sense of humor - I know He does!

To explain: A little over a week ago I found myself at my new church here The Austin Stone just minding my own business, a regular Sunday if you will, and upon innocently looking at the weekly program I noticed an urgent need for camp counselors to go to Turkey this summer. As my eyes scanned the words before me my heart leapt in my chest, not a little hiccup, a full out bounce! I tried to dismiss it and focus on worship and the sermon, but my mind kept drifting drifting back to those words. To calm my anxious heart I made a deal with myself that I'd follow-up with the opportunity via email the next day "just to get the details", the receipt of which I was sure would discourage my interest. WRONG! The more I learned, the more it was confirmed that this is exactly what God wants me to do this summer. And finally, I caved....took a deep breath and jumped all in. I am now set to go to Antalya, Turkey June 14-July 6 at Camp Olive Grove! You see, b/c of the last minute nature of this opportunity, (all the positions were supposed to be filled by March), I have a mere 2.5 weeks to raise $2,500 (approx $150/day) -- but even this did not deter me. Maybe I'm crazy or maybe my spiritual gift of faith is overflowing at the moment, but I am confident that if the Lord wills something He will provide!

One of my favorite Bible verses has always been Proverbs 16:9 "A man's heart plans his way, but the Lord directs his steps." And that's exactly what has happened. If you would have asked me a few mos ago what "my plans" were for this summer they would have been drastically different. Yet, when your heart is set upon Him, you cannot go astray.

I'm looking forward to this new adventure - working with the youth in Turkey and making a positive difference in their lives - and will be keeping you all updated via http://msolivegrove.yolasite.com/. A website I created to raise financial and prayer support for my trip. I will have a blog on there as I go and will be adding pics as well from the camp.

Anyone else been on missions? To Turkey? Have advice? All are welcome!


2 comments:

Camille said...

I love the way you are following Christ in blind obedience! It is truly inspiring!!! I'll be praying for you and the camp!

Katherine said...

Thank you for coming! We've got three kiddos looking forward to an awesome week if camp!